Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Hand You're Dealt

When I was growing up, I hated my name. It was different from everyone else’s and I used to get teased incessantly. I was called “Tangerine”, “Tangy” and my all time favorite, “Tangerinee-Weeney”! I wanted a more common name like “Jacqueline” or “Demetria” so that I could fit in and not stand out. Then I struggled with insecurities about having to wear glasses. I was kind of homely and my hair was nappy. As I became a teenager, I struggled with not having “good” hair, light skin or light brown eyes. I was skinny and my feet were big, and I began to seek approval in all the wrong ways. As an adult, I’ve questioned why I started losing my hair in my late twenties, why I struggled with infertility and most recently, why do I potentially have an eye disease that could threaten my vision in the future.

The list of ‘why’s’ can be endless. It’s in times when I’m feeling the most vulnerable that I have to rest on what I know verses what I feel. What I know is that God knew me before I was formed in my mother’s womb and that He has a definite and specific plan for my life. That plan can only be fulfilled by me in my unique, pre-designed way. I know that nothing that occurs in my life is a surprise to God. He has already pre-destined my path and I just need to walk in it with confidence and ease.

If I would have designed my life, it would have been a whole lot different, but not necessarily to my good. I think in life we can take a lesson from one of my favorite card games, spades. When the cards come around, you don’t know what you’re going to get, but a good player always knows how to make the most of the hand they’re dealt.

5 comments:

  1. You look great! I'm sorry to hear about your eyes.Like you said God has a plan and right now it is meant for you to use your Voice rather than sight. Don't let these ailments distract you from your purpose. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, D. Your prayers are always solicited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey hunn just stopping by showing your blog some love...very interesting...we love it : )


    **YANTAN**


    COME STOP BY SOMETIME... ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANYTIME HUNN!! KEEP IN TOUCH... ;-P


    **YANTAN**

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tangie, what a great message. It's so important to stick with what we know. There will always be times when we feel weak and vulnerable. But God is always there to lift us up. We serve an awesome God don't we!

    ReplyDelete