Sunday, July 12, 2009

You Deserve It!

I grew up in Los Angeles. You know, the city of beautiful people? La-La Land. Hollywood. While my upbringing was less than glamorous, I was certainly close enough to the action to allow some of the “shine” to rub off on me. In my mother’s more prosperous years, she started taking me to the beauty shop to get my hair done when I was just four years old. I was too little to reach the dryer hood so I used to sit on stacks of Yellow Pages until my hair was dry. A common theme I would hear while the perm was burning my scalp was, “You gotta suffer to be beautiful!” Little did I know that those subtle influences about how I viewed beauty, fashion and even myself would govern my thoughts and actions to this day. Little did I know that even though I kept up appearances, I had a distorted image of myself in my mind that told me that I had to look a certain way in order to be accepted.

Now I love to see a sistah when she has it ‘goin’ on’. Her hair is fly, make-up is tight and, of course, her clothes are banging. I used to put a lot of stock in how a person looks and think that was the sum total of who they were. But I have learned that everything that glitters ain’t gold! That sistah could be steep in debt trying to maintain her ‘flyness’. And as I’ve had an opportunity to meet lots of women in my profession, I’ve learned some things about women, in general. I’ve learned that underneath all of the Gucci and the Prada is usually just a regular sistah who wants to be loved and accepted. And sometimes we want this to our detriment. Sometimes we compromise our values, morals and core beliefs just for that acceptance. Sometimes we settle for Ain’t-Had-No-Job-In-Two-Years-Laying-Up-On-My-Unpaid-For-Couch-Leroy just for the comfort of a warm body in our beds. Sometimes we settle for letting the Undereducated-Low-Skilled-Sister-of-the-Boss get a promotion ahead of us. Sometimes we settle for letting Nina, our girl from college, use our credit card once again to get her hair done.

I believe at the heart of why we settle for less than the best and over-extend ourselves to be accepted is because we don’t believe we deserve better. If you ask us, however, we would say that we are “confident, secure, and our way to the top”, but our actions belie us. What is it going to take for us to realize that we are fierce all by ourselves even if we don’t have the latest Coach Bag or the flyest ‘do’? Clothes, purses and make-up don’t validate you as a person; being a woman of substance and character does. So take some time to think about all the ways that you settled or compromised to gain acceptance and start making steps toward re-defining how you view yourself. ‘Cause, guess what? You deserve it!


3 comments:

  1. maybe i was trying to say too much...lol..everything is not always what it seems, and I had a client who had all the glamour that a girl could want, and she drove the Jag, had the nice house, was a professor, but she always bounced checks...that gold, glittered, but it was all on pretense, taught me a good lesson, and when i see ppl that got the "look", I am reminded that ppl will use material things as a cover for wounds that haven't been healed...hmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time in my life where I lived for things and stuff. I had Prada, Gucci, St. John, but didn't have a personal relationship with Christ. I was a believer, but I wasn't living my life for Him. The closer I moved toward the Lord, the less the things and stuff mattered. Now, I could truly care less and I have more joy in my heart than I ever thought possible. And that, my dear sister, is what I deserve. Great post, Tangie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again you've provoked thought and inspired me! I have a friend that was once encouraged to buy herself some jewelry as a treat. My friend tried on a ring that she liked and thought the ring was one price (1% of the real price) and she discovered that it was as much as two to three months of rent(She lived in L.A. at the time)! My friend being the reasonable sistah that she is said, "Uh. . . .no." But her friend was trying to "encourage" her to get on a payment plan. A payment plan! My friend just got divorced and is in school for accounting. It didn't add up to me, but in reality it was all about the image. Her friend preferred to be in debt and look like (or wear) a million bucks than not have it "all" and be herself. I'm not so sure she even knows who that is. . .Great stuff Tangie :0)

    ReplyDelete