Friday, January 1, 2010

Inspired Sistah’s Get-It-Together, Girl Tip #1: Live Authentically

Authentic: Genuine. Real. Accurate. Faithful. Dependable.

Do any of those definitions define your character? If I asked one of your girlfriends how she would describe you? What would she say? Would she say, “Tam is my girl. She always has my back. I can always depend on her.” Or would she say, “Well, you know how Tam is. She’s up one minute, down the next. You never know what you’re going to get from her.”

My point is that we should all strive to live a life with the motto: “Whatchu see is whatchu get. Good, bad, or indifferent!” Some sistahs tout this motto when they want to use it as an excuse of being that Neck-Snapping-Eye-Rolling-Finger-Snapping-Tell-It-Like-It-‘Tis Sistah. She’s the one that always has something to say about everything and everybody and calls it ‘keepin’ it real.’ And if you don’t like it, you know where you can go! Naw, I’m not referring to her. Who I’m referring to is a sistah who is genuine to da bone. She doesn’t put on heirs to try to fit in. She’s comfortable in her own skin whether she’s rockin’ a Louis Vuitton or a bald-head; Makes no difference. She is who she is. Can you picture her? I can. Her authenticity is attractive and people want to get to know her and be around her to glean some of her grace.

Now, being authentic may characterize itself in different ways for different people. But the point is that no matter how you display it, you should strive to be a person that ‘says what she means and means what she says.’ Your character should be genuine and you should be a person that people can depend on to stay true to who you are in the midst of disingenuousness and Fake n’ Phonies. That’s the journey that I’m on. Will you join me?

For the next several months, we’ll explore some Character-Building Attributes that will help us transform into or maintain a life that oozes a special kind of grace that only an Inspired Sistah can possess.

So, next month we’ll explore another Get-It-Together, Girl Tip. Until next time, be inspired!

Inspired Sistah

6 comments:

  1. 100% Authenticity is one of my goals for this year, I use to not care what people thought and somewhere along the way I started to care TOO MUCH. I've found myself holding my tongue or adapting to others when I really shouldn't have. Going back to the outspoken WYSIWYG Brandi is a priority for me.

    Great Tip! I look forward to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Brandi! I like the WYS/WYG acronym. I may have to use it. Smile. I think it's important for us to balance our concerns about the image we portray and staying true to ourselves. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To thine own self be true!" I'm still learning how to do this the right way. Some people are downright evil to others and call it being "real". LOL

    Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Candice. I agree people use the "keeping it real" motto as an avenue to be mean. There is a fine line of grace that I'm still working on, as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post!Always be your true self! When you are not true to yourself, you open the flood gates to negativity, unhappiness, distrust and plenty of bad karma. Knowing and being yourself is loving yourself. While we should always be situation appropriate, always comes as, represent and market BRAND YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the concept of branding & representing 'Brand You.' Yes!

    ReplyDelete